EXTERIOR DESIGN TIPS
Ready to boost your curb appeal and fall in love with your home all over again? These tips will help you create your dream home exterior.
ADD A POP OF COLOR
Add major visual interest with an eye-catching front door. A splash of yellow or orange makes a bright statement. Alternatively, you can choose to go bold with a deep shade of red or purple. Be sure to choose a color that stands out but still complements your existing exterior color palette.
- When you choose a door from Waudena®, you have the freedom to pick one color for the outside of your door and another for the inside. This means you can paint the exterior in your favorite pop of color and stain the interior to complement your existing trim and molding. View our color collections to discover your color.
- Keep the door trim color the same as other exterior trim colors to maintain an overall cohesive look.
- Keep glass choices simple to allow the focus to be on the door color - consider our Clear or Rain glass options.
MATCH YOUR DOOR FRAMES
Create a cohesive home exterior by matching your exterior door and garage door frames. Our Garage Door Frames are designed to match the profile and finish details of our exterior door clad frames. The two systems work together to provide strength and low-maintenance beauty benefits that will keep your doors looking new for years to come. No painting year after year!
- Consider matching your door frame color to the main color of your home. Our Garage Door Frames and exterior door clad frames are available in custom colors for the perfect match.
- Choose the same frame style for all exterior and garage doors.
- When choosing a frame style, be sure it complements the overall style of your home.
CHOOSE METAL ACCENTS TO COMPLEMENT YOUR DOOR GLASS CAMING
Caming refers to the grooved metal bars that hold textured glass and bevels in place, creating a decorative design. Many of our decorative glass designs have several caming color options to choose from. Pull your exterior look together by coordinating any exterior metal accents with your decorative door glass caming color. While it may seem like small detail, this can actually make a big impact on your entryway.
- Select your glass and then choose door hardware to match.
- Update your house numbers for a fresh look.
- Add a door knocker for extra charm.
ADD PERSONALITY AND FUNCTIONALITY WITH DOOR MATS
Door mats are a budget friendly way to add a touch of personality to your entryway. Give a glimpse into the lives of the people who live inside with a catchy saying or simply welcome guests to your home. Remember, door mats aren't just for decoration, they provide a function too - so be sure to choose the right option for your location.
- If you live in a snowy area, choose rubber as it won't absorb moisture.
- In other areas, a natural fiber is a great choice as the coarseness makes wiping your shoes easy.
- Choose the correct size - a general rule to follow is the width of your mat should equal approximately 80% of the width of your door.
FRESHEN UP WITH PLANTS AND FLOWERS
Find your green thumb and freshen up your landscaping with plants, shrubs and flowers. Well-placed potted plants and flowers are an easy way to add major curb appeal to any entryway. It can be difficult to choose the right shrubs and permanent plants for your location, so we recommend asking for suggestions at your local greenhouse.
- Choose pots and containers in colors that complement your overall exterior palette.
- Keep shrubbery neatly pruned for a both a clean look and to ensure walkways are clear.
- Add visual interest by introducing plants in varying heights and textures.
TAILOR YOUR WALKWAYS
Most walkways are an afterthought but if designed well they can actually add immense aesthetic value to your home. Your walkway is an extension of your porch and home, so choosing the right material is key. A winding paver design works great with craftsman or cottage homes. If your home is colonial style or more formal you may choose a straight brick path to complement the over aesthetic of your exterior.
- Combine different materials for a truly one of a kind look. Try bluestone and pea gravel or pavers and lava rock.
- Keep the grass surrounding your walk manicured by edging once a year.
- Line your path with fragrant plants and wow all those who visit home.
LIGHT UP YOUR EXTERIOR
When done correctly, exterior lighting not only adds major curb appeal, it also creates a safer home for you and your family. Exterior lighting can highlight specific home features for added visual appeal while also improving the safety and security of your home. Plus, there is nothing quite like the soft glow of light along walkways or a beautifully lit porch to create a sense of welcoming and ease for all who visit your home.
- Use uplighting to highlight the architecture of your home.
- Point lighting at your landscaping to create a silhouette effect at night.
- Add lighting to illuminate walkways for safety.
DISCOVER YOUR STYLE
Updating the exterior of your home is an exciting time. The result should make you fall in love with your home every time you pull in the driveway. But what if you don't know what your design style is? Let us help you find your style and determine a direction for the look of your home.
We build entry door systems using American-made components and quality workmanship.
We build our doors with security at the forefront to ensure that what’s most important to you is protected in your home.
Your front door is the first thing guests see when they enter your home. We create entrance systems that reflect your individual style.
DOOR STYLES FOR EVERY HOME
Trending Door Styles
¾ 2-Panel Arch Top
3-Panel Craftsman with ¼ lite Clear Glass
Design Your Door
Become a designer.
Create your own perfect entrance with our exterior door designer.
Browse our gallery. No matter what style - craftsman, traditional or modern, we are certain you will find the product right for you.
Peace of Mind
Our products are engineered for durability and longevity, providing a maximum protection for your home.